Email marketing has been around since – believe it or not – 1978, and it’s still being used by millions of marketers today.
Simply because it gets the job done (if done right, of course).
The only problem with email marketing is that it can be challenging to get right for business owners. That’s why you may find yourself needing to let someone else handle this advertising medium for you. That raises the question, “should I hire my own team or outsource the whole thing?”
Well, that’s what we’re going to answer in this article, so keep reading!
What is email marketing?
Email marketing refers to the process of using – hey, surprise! – email to communicate with prospects or existing customers to promote a product or service. It involves sending targeted, personalised messages to a list of email subscribers. The goal is to build relationships and drive sales or conversions.
Such a marketing medium can be an effective way for businesses to reach and engage with their target audience. That’s because it allows them to send targeted messages to specific segments of people based on their interests, behaviours, and demographics. It can also be a cost-effective marketing strategy. After all, it doesn’t require a large budget to get started, relatively speaking, that is.
To run a campaign, businesses typically need to have an email marketing platform, such as Mailchimp. They also need a list of email subscribers, and a strategy for crafting and sending targeted, personalised messages. Some common types of email marketing include newsletters, promotional emails, abandoned cart emails, and customer engagement emails.
Is it worth it?
This marketing medium can be a valuable advertising strategy for businesses of all sizes. That’s because it allows them to reach and engage with their target audience in a relatively cost-effective way. That said, whether or not this marketing medium is worth it for a particular business will depend on various factors. Those include the business’s goals, target audience, and resources.
To see whether email marketing is worth it for your business, check these potential benefits:
- Cost-effective: Email marketing can be a cost-effective way to reach a large audience, as it doesn’t require a large budget to get started. Of course, that depends on various factors. These include your industry, the size of your audience, the frequency of the emails, the quality of the copywriting, etc
- Targeted and personalised: Email marketing allows businesses to send targeted, personalised messages to specific groups of people based on their interests, behaviours, and demographics
- Measurable: Email marketing platforms typically offer a range of analytics and reporting tools that allow businesses to track the performance of their campaigns and measure their success
Before including email marketing in their strategy, it’s important for businesses to carefully consider their goals and resources. They also have to make sure they have the necessary tools and expertise to execute a successful campaign. If you decide to use this marketing medium but don’t have an in-house team to take care of it, well, that’s why agencies like ours exist, isn’t it?
In-house vs done-for-you email marketing
One thing to note here is that there’s no easy, clear answer. Which option will work for your business will depend on several factors, which we’ll detail below.
What is in-house email marketing?
In-house email advertising refers to the process of executing such campaigns by a team or a member within a business rather than outsourcing the work to an external agency or consultant. It typically involves a team or individual within the business who is responsible for creating, managing, and optimising campaigns.
- You have control over your campaigns: Handling email marketing in-house allows businesses to have more control over the process
- More customisation: In-house teams can tailor campaigns to the specific needs and goals of the business, which may be more difficult with an outsourced team
- Quick turnaround: In-house teams may be able to respond more quickly to changes or updates as they are on-site and able to communicate more easily
- Less expertise: In-house teams may not have the same level of expertise as a specialised email marketing agency, like Rockstar Marketing, which could result in less effective campaigns. That’s because tasks involved in the process are usually delegated to someone who already has plenty of other responsibilities. So, not only will that employee find themselves incapable of creating high-quality email marketing campaigns, but they’ll also have to cut corners since they have to take care of their dedicated role as well.
- Time-consuming: Managing email marketing in-house can be time-consuming, as it requires a dedicated team or individual to create and execute campaigns
- It can be more expensive: Hiring and training an in-house team may be more expensive than outsourcing email marketing. That, of course, depends on the size of the business and the frequency of email marketing campaigns
When should you do it in-house?
In-house email advertising can be a good choice for businesses that want more control over their advertising efforts and the ability to tailor campaigns to their specific needs. That said, it’s important to consider the potential costs and time commitments involved in managing such campaigns in-house.
What is outsourced email marketing?
Done-for-you email advertising refers to the process of hiring an external agency or consultant to manage and execute campaigns. It typically involves an external team of experts who are trained in best practices and have experience creating and executing successful campaigns. Pretty simple, right?
- More expertise: As mentioned, email marketing agencies typically have a team of experts who are trained in best practices and have experience executing successful campaigns. This can be handy for businesses that don’t have the expertise or resources in-house
- Time-saving: Outsourcing email marketing can save time and allow businesses to focus on other areas of their business. After all, email marketing isn’t easy, and training a team to do it perfectly can be time (and money) consuming
- It can be more cost-effective: Depending on the size of the business, outsourcing email marketing may be more cost-effective than hiring an in-house team. That’s because, unlike dedicated teams that require proper commitment, agencies (like ours) are usually hired on a contract basis. In other words, you can outsource your email marketing needs and stop doing it as needed
- Loss of control: Outsourcing email marketing means giving up some control over the process, which may be a concern for some businesses
- Communication challenges: Communication with an outsourced team may be more difficult. There may be time zone or language barriers to overcome. This can be avoided by hiring a local team, of course
- Dependence on an external team: Businesses that outsource email marketing may be more dependent on the external team for their marketing efforts, which could be a risk if the team is not reliable or does not deliver high-quality work
When should you outsource it?
Basically, outsourcing can be a good choice for businesses that:
- don’t have the expertise or resources in-house
- and want to save time and potentially reduce costs
However, it’s important to carefully evaluate potential agencies. Furthermore, before going down this road, you should consider the potential risks of working with an external team.
Looking to outsource these tasks?
If you decide to outsource email marketing tasks instead of hiring an in-house team, you’re in the right place. Book a discovery call with us today. One of our experts will get in touch to explain how we can manage everything this marketing medium for you!